Put It Away
APPLE OR PEACH CRISP
- 3-4 pounds of apples/peaches (or if you want to be lazy just use 2 cans of any pie filling or canned peaches, I have even used 1 can of crushed pineapple and 1 can of cheery pie filling).
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (only if you use fresh fruit)
- 2 cup rolled oats
- 1'2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Peel, core and chop the apples. Butter a 9 X 18-inch baking dish. Spread apple/peaches/whatever in the bottom of the baking dish. If they are fresh, sprinkle the 1/3 cup over them. If they are super tart, use 1/2 cup. If they are canned, DO NOT add any sugar to the fruit.
In another bowl combine flour, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, and butter. Take your hands a squoosh the butter with your hands while mixing it with the dry ingredients. You will end up with a mixture that is crumbly. Stir in the chopped nuts (if you want) then sprinkle the apples with the crumbly mixture.
Bake at 350° for 30 to 45 minutes, or until apples are tender and topping is lightly browned.
Serve warm or at room temperature, with vanilla ice cream or a little heavy cream, if desired.